Saturday 4 December 2010

Random Filler Post: A Tribute To My Laptops...

Back when I started 4dawgz, I used to pad out by posting filler stuff about nonsense just to let people know that I'm not dead when in reality I was translator hunting. Nowadays, with me doing joint projects, I figured I would carry on posting filler stuff over here until I get lucky and find a translator. It'll be just like the early days of 4dawgz again... ONLY ON HERE. So with that explanation over, let's talk about MY LAPTOPS. I never said it was hentai related filler post... maybe that'll be for next time.

Years ago, when I first got into editing, everything was done on the family PC and yes, I got careless and some projects was discovered by family members. The first time was, "OH GOD KILL ME NOW". Second time was, "well, shit happens". Third time was the turning point when my dad decided enough was enough and deleted everything. Thankfully I made backups at the time but I decided that laptops was a necessity. The only problem? Too expensive for someone who was fresh out of highschool and starting college (no, I never even got a laptop for college as a gift). That all changed when a chance meeting to fix someone's printer resulted in me bagging my first laptop. It's true. You never forget your first. 

Compaq N610c

40GB. 256MB RAM. Pentium 4 processor. Even 5 years ago, it was considered junk but I loved it. I loved it even more when I got a WIFI card to browse online. A lot of my early editing was done on this and with an MP3 running in the background while working on manga with Photoshop 7, it was fun times for a newbie editor. Sadly, it didn't have a graceful retirement and I had to give it to my friend who was moving away to repay a favor. Last time I saw it, it had a cracked case and missing THREE keys from the keyboard. If I had the money, I would've rescued it from him but sadly, it was not to be. 

HP Pavilion TX1000

A taste of the laptop life left me wanting more so I decided to buy a new one instead of a second hand one. At this time, I was on vacation in Hong Kong and walked into a huge electronics and PC shop. Armed with a wad of money from years of saving, I asked the salesman which he recommended and showed this. What sold it was the fact that it could convert into a tablet PC which made me go, "WHOOAAAA" and bought it on the spot. Huge mistake. This laptop came out at the same time as Vista was making its first appearance and yes, the shiny new interface when I turned it on at home transformed into a massive shitpile a few months later. The screen was too glossy which made it a little difficult to do any editing, particularly the leveling of the pages. The worst was when I realised the touchscreen aspect was more hassle than I imagined so I could've saved a lot more money if I just bought a normal one.

I put up with this for 2 years until I offloaded it and sold it to a family friend for far, FAR less than I originally paid for it. 6 months later, I found out that the motherboard fried and in effect, killed it. Thank goodness.

Dell Inspiron 1525

After that last horrible experience, I decided to actually do some research and in the end, I bought my current laptop in 2008 which is still working to this day. Unfortunately, I bought it back when Windows 7 was 2 months away from being released and so it wasn't eligable for upgrade offers and my only option was Vista... again. Only just upgraded to Windows 7 last month but this is probably enough to stop me from buying a new laptop for a few more years. So far, it's been responsible for a ton of h-manga edits and the HDD is probably stuffed with more manga and anime than my last two laptops combined.

And that's it for this random filler post. If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read this. I always wanted to post something like this on 4dawgz but I kept putting it off in favor of more h-manga releases so I figured it was only reasonable to post it here. Hopefully my next filler post will actually be hentai related... or maybe I'll just post my favorite cake recipes.

3 comments:

  1. man, this post was lovely...
    I'm 19 and I'm currently on my first, and of course it's something you'll appreciate your entire life.
    I have been a year together with my laptop, obviusly the warranty is already dead XD but that doesn't matter. what matters it's that it keeps working perfectly and as your beginnings i have also made some edits~
    and because everything has been on my lap, family hasn't found anything =9.

    greets~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intresting post.

    Not a big fan of laptops personally, but I can see why some people like them. I am currently still using my first own computer. It is 5 year old piece of shit, but I still love it.

    Waiting for those cake recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're the greatest my idol/:D- 6month after you sold the lap, the lap die.:D

    ReplyDelete